2018-2019 Graduate Catalog 
    Jul 17, 2024  
2018-2019 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Grading System

Course Level Requirements

Graduate credit will not be given for a 500-level course if taken previously at the undergraduate level and may not be repeated as a graduate-level course. For a Master’s degree, a minimum of 50 percent of course work must be earned in 600-level courses.


Louisiana College employs a 4-point grading system with the standard marks, “A,” “B,” “C,” “D” and “F”. A WIP designates a work-in-progress during the semester, but is not recognized as a grade. Additional considerations of importance are as follows:

  • A (superior in quality or excellent)
  • B (given for work which is consistently good and which manifests sufficient interest, effort, or originality to lift it beyond average)
  • C (minimal work and shows that basic requirements in class assignments have been met, but is not considered standard work for graduate students)
  • D (earns no credit and is below the standard required for graduation)
  • F (indicates failure and carries no credit)
  • A grade of D or F in any graduate-level course will suspend the student from the degree program. Students who want to continue in the degree program may appeal to the dean of the program and the Graduate Council. (See Academic Standing for additional information.)
  • FA indicates that the student failed the course due to excessive absences.
  • F* indicates an administrative F if an instructor fails to submit a final grade. See “Submitting Final Grades” for the complete policy.

Students who withdraw from a course after the end of late registration through the sixth week of the regular semester will receive a “W.” Students who withdraw after the sixth week can receive a “WP” if they have a “C” or better average and will receive a “WF” if failing (below a “C” average) at the time of withdrawal. A grade of “WF” has the same effect as an “F” on GPA calculations.

Academic Standing: Probation and Suspension

Progress toward a degree is measured both quantitatively and qualitatively through consideration of the number of grade point hours and the grade point average. Grade point average (GPA) is calculated by dividing the number of grade points by grade point hours.

The requirement for remaining in good academic standing as a graduate student is the same requirement for graduation. All graduate students must maintain a 3.0 GPA on all graduate courses. Only 2 grades of “C” may be applied toward the completion of any master’s degree program.

Academic Probation and Suspension

When a student’s GPA drops below 3.0, the student is placed on academic probation. The Registrar’s Office will notify students that they have been placed on academic probation. During probation, the student has one semester to improve the GPA to the required 3.0. Students on academic probation may not improve their GPA by taking courses at other institutions. In cases in which the student needs to repeat a course and the course is not offered until the following semester, the student will remain on probation until able to repeat the course. If the student is successful in regaining a 3.0, the student will be back in good standing. However, if the student is unsuccessful or if a student makes a “D” or “F,” the student will be placed on academic suspension. The student must appeal to the Graduate Council Committee to be readmitted to the program. If the appeal is granted and the student is readmitted, the student is placed on probational status for one semester. After one semester, if the student’s GPA has not reached the required 3.0, the student may appeal to remain in the program. However, a student is only allowed to go through the appeal process a total of two times.

Appeal Procedure for Academic Suspension

Students placed on academic suspension who want to continue in the degree program may appeal to the Dean or Director of the program and the Graduate Council. The student must submit a letter of appeal to the Dean or Director of the program at least two weeks prior to the start date of the next semester addressing the circumstances that resulted in suspension, explaining any changes, and requesting reinstatement. The Dean or Director of the program will submit the appeal letter to the Graduate Council for consideration. In such cases, the decision of the Graduate Council regarding readmission will be final.


If students are prevented from completing a course by circumstances beyond their control, a grade of “I” may be requested. Students may receive the grade of “I” provided they have attended 80 percent of the total number of class sessions, are passing the course, and are prevented from completing the course before the last day of the semester by a documented, extenuating circumstance beyond his/her control, such as deployment, natural disaster, medical illness or surgery, family emergency, death in the immediate family, or job relocation. Failing to attend class or turn in required course work does not meet the qualifications of an extenuating circumstance. The student must provide relevant support documentation, substantiating the stated circumstance, and the student must provide documentation from the instructor for attendance and grade. Students must submit a written request asking the instructor to report an “incomplete.” All of the documentation must be submitted with the “incomplete form” to the VPAA for final approval.

To deal honestly and fairly with students, incompletes should only be assigned to students who qualify for the extended time and should not be administered to prevent a student from receiving a failing grade or to allow the student more time to pass the course. An “incomplete” may not be given merely because students fail to complete all course requirements on time, nor is it an option that may be elected at their own discretion. It is a student’s responsibility to make specific arrangements with the instructor to complete the course work.

Students who are granted “incompletes” have until the date set by the instructor (but not later than the final class day of the next regular semester from the end of the term in which the course was taken) to complete the remaining course requirements. Any incomplete grade not removed by the date set by the instructor (but not later than the final class day of the next regular semester from the end of the term in which the course was taken) will automatically become an “F.”

Repeating Courses

Students may repeat one course for one grade replacement, and the prior grade will be removed from the cumulative GPA. Only one grade replacement is allowed. If a student repeats more than one course, all grades will be used in computing the cumulative grade point average. This means that all attempts at a repeated course will be computed into the cumulative grade point average, and all course grades will appear on the transcript.

Submitting Final Grades

A faculty member’s teaching responsibilities include providing grades honestly and fairly within the grading system established by the institution and within the deadlines specified by the Registrar. Louisiana College recognizes the standard marks of “A,” “B,” “C,” “D” and “F” as acceptable grades. A WIP designates a work-in-progress during the semester but is not recognized as a grade.

All faculty are required to submit final grades by the final grade submission deadline established by the Registrar and the VPAA. If any student is not assigned a grade by the deadline, the Registrar’s Office will first attempt to contact the instructor of record. If the instructor cannot be reached, the Registrar will issue an “administrative F” (F*) grade and will instruct the student to contact the instructor. The grade will remain an “administrative F” (F*) until the instructor submits a Grade Change Form. Only faculty members are permitted to request a Grade Change Form, and the Registrar’s Office will issue the form on a case-by-case basis. Once the Grade Change Form has been submitted to the Registrar’s Office, the “administrative F” (F*) will be removed from the student’s academic record. The only grade that the Registrar may assign without a Grade Change Form from a faculty member is an “administrative F” (F*). An “administrative F” will be designed as F* on the student’s record.

Independent Studies

Independent study and/or directed independent study course are allowed, but only in situation where a required course is not available or in unusual circumstances that prevent a student from taking a course in the normal manner. Independent study and/or directed independent study courses may be taken at LC and are limited to 6 hours. Permission from the advisor and appropriate dean is required.