The Central Curriculum creates a common educational experience that provides a broad foundation for lifelong learning within a biblical worldview for all Louisiana College students. Students who complete the Central Core Curriculum will acquire knowledge of human cultures and the physical and natural world, demonstrate a foundation for intellectual and practical skills, and engage in personal and social responsibility.
After completing the Central Core Curriculum courses of study, students’ acquired knowledge of human cultures and of the physical and natural world will enable them to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the Bible’s content and basic Christian doctrines that enable the student to explain a reasoned basis for a commitment to Jesus Christ.
- Demonstrate knowledge of world civilization, cultural diversity, human social behavior, language, literature, and science.
- Recognize artistic elements (such as creativity, beauty, performance) and the cultural significance of the fine arts.
The foundation of intellectual and practical skills obtained during the Central Core Curriculum courses will enable students to:
- Demonstrate competency in written, oral, and technological communication skills.
- Demonstrate an ability to utilize a variety of critical thinking approaches to problem solving.
The Central Core Curriculum courses’ focus on personal and social responsibility will require students to:
- Acquire and apply biblical principles in making value judgments and personal decisions.
- Participate in service projects, organizations, athletics, or extracurricular activities to improve overall well being.
- Accept cultural diversity with respect and compassion, and demonstrate an understanding of global interdependence and responsibility.
The Central Core Curriculum student learning outcomes are assessed on an annual basis by faculty members from across the institution. This assessment helps to ensure an appropriate number of central core curriculum hours and seeks to demonstrate that the curriculum is accomplishing its stated objectives.