The Louisiana College campus is located in Pineville on the north side of Red River about 1 1/2 miles from downtown Alexandria. The 81-acre tract is covered by native pines, oaks, and a variety of flowering trees and shrubs. Beautifully landscaped walks and gardens are adjacent to academic facilities designed to complement the natural setting. The architectural style of the college’s first buildings is epitomized in Alexandria Hall, whose columns are symbols of LC to generations of students. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Alexandria-Pineville community is located in the center of the state and is easily accessible by Interstate Highway 49, U.S. Highways 71, 165, and 167, and Louisiana Highways 1 and 28. The campus is approximately 10 miles from Alexandria International Airport.
Alexandria Hall was named in honor of the citizens of Alexandria whose generosity made possible its construction in 1920. In 2000, the Ruth O’Quinn Center for Liberal Arts and Professional Studies was developed in Alexandria Hall to upgrade technology resources in the primary academic facility of the College, especially in the area of teacher education. The O’Quinn Center was named in honor of Ruth O’Quinn, a 1960 magna cum laude graduate of Louisiana College.
The Louisiana College Library, located in the Richard W. Norton Memorial Library building, provides access to more than 90,000 physical volumes, 280,000 electronic books, and 100 electronic databases, many offering full-text, are provided. The library is a selected depository for Federal and State government documents. The large computer lab provides access to the Internet, email, the library catalog, and a variety of electronic resources supporting the college’s curricula. As a member of OCLC the library has access to over 35 million titles to assist students and faculty in obtaining materials needed for research. The library’s participation in LALINC provides limited circulation privileges for graduate students and faculty at all participating LALINC libraries in Louisiana. A hot beverage bar located in the library provides coffee, hot chocolate and tea for library users. The beverage bar is a joint project between the Library and the LC SGA.
The library’s Online Public Access Catalog is available online at http://www2.youseemore.com/lacollege.
Weathersby Fine Arts Building was completed in 1961, renovated in 1993, and contains offices and instructional facilities for the Departments of Art and Music. The building features an exhibition gallery with adjacent storeroom, a 151-seat recital hall, and a band rehearsal room. An elevator provides second floor access to handicapped students and a Student Lounge is located in the front, center section of the second floor.
H. O. West Physical Education Building, dedicated in 1965, contains a 4,800-seat gymnasium, heated swimming pool, weight-training facilities, offices and classrooms for the Department of Health & Physical Education. Henry E. Walden Gymnasium, named in honor of Henry E. Walden, who served as coach and director of athletics from 1921 until 1953, is adjacent to the West Building. The Richard L. Crowell Tennis Center provides six lighted tennis courts next to the soccer field. The Wildcat baseball team plays its home games on Billy Allgood Baseball Field, named for the college’s long-time baseball coach and athletic director.
Guinn Religious Education Center contains classroom space and offices for the Division of Christian Studies, the 300-seat Frances S. Bolton Chapel, and the 1,800-seat auditorium which contains the Gladys Tatum West Pipe Organ, a 185-rank, five-manual Moeller organ, which is among the largest in the South. Completed in 1973, this facility was named to recognize the contributions made by Dr. G. Earl Guinn, former president, and members of his family to Louisiana College.
Charles J. Cavanaugh Hall of Science contains offices, classrooms and laboratory facilities for the Department of Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Nursing. Completed in 1969, the building was named in 1975 to honor Charles J. Cavanaugh, renowned professor of biology from 1945 to 1977.
Martin Performing Arts Center, completed in 1992, is highlighted by a state-of-the-art theater that seats about 250. The main level houses offices and classrooms for the Mass Communication and Theatre Department, as well as important support areas for the theatre program. The rear, ground-level portion of the building houses a TV studio, radio and TV production rooms, and a room for distance learning down-link and up-link equipment.
The Academic Resource Center houses the Program to Assist Student Success (PASS) and the educational support services program sponsored jointly by student life and academic affairs. The center is currently housed in Warner Cottage, which is named in honor of Mr. and Mrs. W. S. Warner.
Tudor Hall is a men’s residence hall named in honor of Simon W. Tudor, a former president of the Board of Trustees and a generous benefactor of Louisiana College. The building is traditional in style, housing 168 men in double rooms with shared bath, study and recreational facilities. It was constructed in 1957. A wing was added in 1964, and the older section was remodeled in 1964. Additional remodeling was done in 1986. The three-story building has more than 32,000 square feet of space.
Church Hall is located in the former Methodist Church building that faces Donahue Ferry Road. The men’s residence hall will house a total of 73 young men.
Cottingham Hall, first occupied in 1940, is named for Dr. Claybrook Cottingham, third president of Louisiana College. The spacious residence hall houses 300 women and is of a traditional design. White Memorial Parlor honors the service of Dr. James A. White Jr., a former trustee of the college. This beautifully furnished lounge area is the scene of many campus events. The residence hall was remodeled in 1986.
English Student Village, a residence complex designed to house 92 students, is named to honor Stephen M. and Jewel C. English, long-time supporters of Louisiana College. The unique apartment-style residence is designed to blend with a beautiful natural setting and is reserved for upperclassmen.
The Louisiana College Apartments are located on Cross Street adjacent to the campus. These two bedroom apartments house 29 students. There are also 8 apartments that house married and non-traditional students.
College Drive Apartments, a residential apartment complex for upper class women, opened during the Fall 2001 semester. The complex houses 45 students and is located on the northeast side of the campus.
Ware Street Apartments, a residential apartment complex for upper class men, opened during the Spring 2013 semester. The complex houses 45 students and is located on the northeast side of the campus.
Auxiliary Campus Facilities
Carroll and Elizabeth Hixson Student Center, constructed in 1997, is the center for co-curricular activities. The center contains the campus post office, snack bar, computer room, TV lounge, game room, and bookstore. It houses offices for Student Life, Student Government Association and Union Board.
The Ray and Mary Anna Granberry Conference Center provides facilities for conferences, receptions, meetings, and other campus activities.
Hattie B. Strother Cafeteria is the primary food service facility on the campus. In addition to a large dining area which seats 300, there is an attractively furnished private dining room. The cafeteria was extensively remodeled in 1961 and 1984.
The James and Mary Baker Health and Wellness Center, dedicated in March 2001, is comprised of two components, health care and fitness. The 33,000 square foot fitness facility is known as the Louisiana Athletic Club and includes a four lane lap pool, a pool for therapy and exercise classes, a gymnasium, areas for free weights and stationary exercise equipment, an aerobic studio, racquetball courts, walking track and child care area. CHRISTUS Cabrini Healthplex, the 23,000 square foot health care portion of the facility, includes physicians’ offices, clinical and educational space.
The Robert L. and Bonnie Lynn Alumni and Development Center was constructed in 1956 as the President’s home. Named after Lynn, Louisiana College’s sixth president, it was built on two and three-quarters acres of land. The Lynns were the last family to occupy the residence before the two-story brick structure was renovated into office space. It now houses the offices of alumni and development, having both office space and meeting and reception areas. There are currently efforts underway to have the Center listed on the state list of historic places.